Friday, September 9, 2011

Max on Max?


Here's a sample of some experimentation with the Max Rig. Which I downloaded from the 11 Second Club

My main focus was to "get in there" and move every joint I could find, and finish with an appealing image.
Here's what I ended with.

 



Based on what I've heard in videos and advice articles, I made a deliberate effort to make sure the pose worked in three dimensions.


First impressions of the Rig:
Pro: The facial sliders are easy to use and provide a great way to find unique expressions
Con: I didn't see a way to move both eyes at once.


Pro: I love the leg controls; how when you move the feet there's a natural progression that moves the leg and hip joint.
Con: There's no definition of the feet. Meaning pointed or flexed the foot is a solid paddle. Which I imagine will make simple things likes walking or jumping seem clunky and hard on contact with the ground.


Pro: Finger controls are simple and easy to use.
Con: The finger controls can be too simple, they only roll in and out from a closed blade with an extended thumb.  So it's very easy to control, but it doesn't provide as much variety as I would like from the hands.


Pro: The torso twists are great so far. At this point love them


Final thoughts on Max Rig:
It's primary characteristic is it's simplicity and ease, which has it's ups and down.
It seems great for a rough and ready quick starter but may be too limited for subtle touches.
(Perfect for a beginner like me. I'm new and should start with something simple. It's just my excitement attracting me to the more seductive, subtle, and advance acting rigs.)
Because of this, I am considering this rig for stationary-broad acting, with lots of fun exaggeration.




That's all I've got to say on the Max Rig. Thus far thanks for reading!
-Max

No comments:

Post a Comment