Wednesday, August 31, 2011

My Animation Mentor Application

This is what I submitted through the AM online application as part of there essay question page. I posted it for three reasons:
  1. You the reader will get to know me better. (number 6 is good for this)
  2. Fellow AM students will see why I'm there, and what we have in common. 
  3. This may be helpful to someone looking to apply to Animation Mentor. (There was actually a 70 word minimum, I wrote more because it was relevant, but yours doesn't have to be as long.) 

If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, read a portion. Scroll through and see what catches your eye. It really is just a collection of shorter posts. Enjoy!

1. Why did you choose Animation Mentor?

I first discovered animation mentor in 2006, at the start of my senior year of high school. What drew me to the program was the opportunity to work with active or experienced individuals from the industry. Also, the student work that I saw was incredible; so inspiring, fun, and just the type of thing I wanted to create. I’ve been considering animation mentor for many years while honing my performance and storytelling skills. I’ve considered other schools but nowhere else have I seen a community of such talent, attention, focus, and passion.  I feel that now the time is right for me to apply myself and to find my place at Animation Mentor.

2. What are your expectations of the Animation Mentor program, and what skills do you hope to acquire?

I expect to face many challenges at AM, but also to grow as a storyteller and a collaborative artist. Through the video critiques I will learn how to take direction and to apply notes into my work. Through student reviews I will learn to think critically about others material. Also through the student reviews I will train my eyes to observe works in progress; to see minute details in order to provide valuable positive feedback, and then to graciously accept feedback in return. I expect to learn the fundamentals of movement, and build on top of them new skills, techniques, and ways of thinking. Also I will learn the practical side of the craft of animation. I will learn to know my software and materials well, the buttons and work processes, effective planning, pitching, and execution. I don’t expect it to be easy, but I do expect to learn what it takes to be an animator in today’s industry.

3. Why do you want to become an animator?

Well, animation has many advantages to all the other forms of creative expression I have tried.
I’ve considered being an actor. I love discovering characters and playing a role in a larger picture.
Or I could be a dancer. I love feeling deep emotions and bringing them to a physical level.
I could even be a painter. I love the meditative state of focus that is required to transfer thoughts and feeling into an entity outside of myself.
However, an actor is most effective when playing roles he is physically fit for: in looks, age, gender etc.  An animator can play any role.
A dancer is also limited by the body. They can only be a dancer while their body is strong and limber. An animator can be effective well into the later part of his life.
A painter can make beautiful images that can tell a story and speak to the heart, but an animator can make their art think.
An animator can do all of those things and more. An animator is an artist who transcends the limits of form and time and can be creative in a whole new way. That’s why I want to be an animator.

4. What are your short term goals in the animation industry?

During AM I plan to take the last few classes I need to transfer from Citrus College to Long Beach State where I would pursue a BA degree in illustration/animation. I plan to continue work on individual projects and expand my reel and portfolio, while applying to internships at professional studios. I’d make myself available on the internet by starting a website with my work on it. I plan to keep my relationships with my colleagues from AM with regular communication. Then, with my degree, I would pursue quality entry work in film or television as an animator or storyboard artist.

5. What are your long term goals in the animation industry?
I've just been reading a book by David B. Levy on his experiences directing animation. I would like to bring all that I've learned, about life, about storytelling, art, and people into play and maybe spearhead projects of my own as a director, or producer. My experiences in theater have become a huge asset to my ability to analyze a story and work with others. I have many skills, insights, and experiences that will help me in a creative leadership position and these talents also allow me to see where and when to seek the help of others.  I have learned to appreciate the talents of those around me and can see myself bringing a skillful team together and making something great.

6. Describe your previous art and/or animation background:(optional)

I have done many different things, experienced various types of art, and I’ve found that all forms of art are related and complimentary. Although animation is a new skill for me, my past has suitably prepared me for the challenge. I've always loved to draw, and since I would draw in all my other classes in high school I had time to do three years of Speech and Debate, two of advanced dance, and I also took a class in animation. Surprisingly the animation class was a frustrating experience. The original teacher had just retired, and our replacement showed little passion for the medium. We spent lots of time watching movies, and developing PowerPoint presentations. I spoke with my teacher once about my own ideas for how the curriculum could be improved, but my meaning was misinterpreted and the only change was an experimental film option on the final. I learned then, that the best course to take for animation might not be through animation itself. In college I spent three years as part of the Citrus Chamber Singers, a touring choir, renowned for their quality and variety. I wanted to stay close to the stage and become a better performer for when I got into animation. While in my second and third years of the program I was dance captain for the group; which included opportunities to choreograph and learn about directing others and bring a vision to life. At Citrus I participated in many musicals and stage performances which taught me about developing character and how to convey a story. I also got a job at the school working as a painter of sets for the theater shows, where I’ve learned a lot about communication and cooperation. After completing the Singers program, which focused on music and dance, I directed my focuses towards theater and fine art. I took art classes including life drawing, computer art, and animation. This animation class was much better than my first and I ended it with an original, minute and a half long, short. Art, as you can see, has always been a presence in my life, and though I am new to animation in practice, it has never been far from my heart.


7. How might your current work/interests help you to successfully complete the Animation Mentor curriculum?

Having just graduated from Citrus College with Highest Honors, there are still a few classes I need to transfer to a university. Instead of taking them all at once I have the opportunity to spread them out while I take the 18 months to complete the Animation Mentor program. With a small load at school I have a large window of opportunity to dedicate to AM that I have not had before. Also, my work schedule is very flexible and would allow for me to work on animation projects. The classes I’d be taking at school are mainly art classes that would complement the lessons I’d be learning through Animation Mentor. I am a hard worker and my passion for storytelling and quality work is a strong motivator. I have learned many things about commitments and making the time to complete them from participating in many long term programs like Citrus Singers, Speech and Debate, dance teams, and shows. It’s not always easy, but when I start something that I’m passionate about I finish it.

Thank you for reading.
Max

No comments:

Post a Comment